Hemp is a versatile plant that has been used for centuries for its various health benefits. From its seeds to its oil and hearts, hemp provides a blend of simple proteins, rich minerals and vitamins, and a perfect balance of essential acids and antioxidants. In this article, we'll explore the many benefits of hemp seeds and where you can buy nutritious and natural hemp products online.
What is Industrial Hemp?
Industrial hemp is a non-psychoactive variety of Vijaya Sativa which is usually found in the northern hemisphere. Nobody knows how and where it was originated but historical records trace its origins to the Himalayan region in Asia.
There are several varieties of the Hemp plant— Sativa, Indica, and Ruderalis. Vijaya Leaf Extract as a drug and industrial hemp are both derived from the species Hemp Sativa and contain the psychoactive component tetrahydrocannabinol. It contains lower concentrations (less than 1%) of tetrahydrocannabinol and higher concentrations of (cannabidiol), which means it can do a lot good for you instead of getting you high.
What is Hemp Seed?
Hemp seeds, also known as ‘hemp hearts’ (When Shelled), are small brown seeds that are rich in protein, soluble and insoluble fiber, and healthy fatty acids such as omega-3 and omega-6. These small, crunchy seeds are safe to consume and contain only low traces of tetrahydrocannabinol.
These seeds are high in anti-oxidant effect and are known to improve heart health and reduce symptoms of ailments related to skin and joints. One can get the hemp seeds benefits by adding it in the meals as a whole or consumed in the form of powder for a well-balanced diet.
Nutritional Benefits of Hemp Seeds
- Protein Power: Hemp seeds are valued for being complete protein, containing all 21 amino acids, including all 9 essential amino acids. It’s important to consume essential amino acids through food as our bodies cannot produce them naturally.
- Essential Fatty Acids: Hemp seeds contain an ideal amount of omega-6 and omega-3 essential fatty acids. These fatty acids cannot be synthesized by the body but are required to support a wide range of cellular processes in the body, including the proper function of the heart and brain.
- Full of Nutrients: Hemp seeds are also an excellent source of Vitamin E, zinc, iron, and magnesium. Vitamin E and zinc are potent antioxidants that protect cells against the damaging effect of free radicals. Iron helps deliver oxygen-rich red blood cells throughout the body and magnesium plays a role in hundreds of chemical reactions in the body.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), roughly three tablespoons of hemp seeds contain about 116 calories and other nutrients mentioned below:
Total fatty acids
Monounsaturated fatty acids
Saturated fatty acids
These seeds are also a great source of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin E, calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, etc.
Hemp seeds are readily available as shelled (also called “hemp Hearts”), grounded or split and a special thing about hemp seed is that it can be used in almost all varieties of foods for a healthy diet.
The seed shells act as a bulking agent and add fiber to the diet aiding indigestion.
Health Benefits of Hemp Seeds
Hemp has been cultivated for thousands of years and has a wide range of applications, including in the production of fiber, food, and medicine. Here are some of the potential health benefits of hemp:
- Hemp seeds have secured their position as a superfood. They not only have a rich nutritional profile but also provide a range of health benefits.
- As a dietary supplement, it provides a blend of simple proteins, rich minerals and vitamins and a perfect balance of essential acids and antioxidants.
- Protects Brain: Hemp seeds help in neurological conditions such as Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, and neuropathic pain.
- Heart Health: Omega-3 fatty acids that are present in hemp seeds improve the health of the heart and reduce the risk of heart diseases. The seeds also contain high levels of arginine, an amino acid that is converted into a chemical called nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is an essential component for artery and vein dilation and it also helps in keeping the blood vessel walls elastic and smooth.
- Reduces Inflammation: Another benefit of hemp is that the amount of omega-3 and omega-6 present in them can help reduce inflammation. In addition, hemp seeds are a rich source of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), a polyunsaturated fatty acid which may also have anti-inflammatory properties. As a result, this reduced inflammation helps in managing the symptoms of various chronic diseases such as type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, arthritis, etc.
- Improves Skin: Hemp seeds are a rich source of plant fiber. Plant fibers are believed to help in managing the symptoms of atopic dermatitis (AD) and acne.
- While consuming hemp seeds have several health benefits, one should avoid overdoing it. The healthiest option is to eat an assorted diet that contains a wide range of nutrients.
How to Consume Hemp hearts?
Our Hemp Hearts (seeds) are available in 150g and 500g packing. These seeds are packed with essential amino acids and can be consumed by sprinkling a spoonful on top of a smoothie, salad, yogurt or cereal.
Hemp seeds have a nutty flavor, and are a safe substitute for people with nut allergies. These seeds can be dry toasted over low heat to make them even nuttier. Alternatively, similar to almond milk (which is made by blending almonds and water), one can make hemp seed milk which can be used as an alternative to dairy products in various recipes and drinks.
A couple of spoonfuls of these seeds pack a huge amount of essential nutrients. They are easy to cook and eat. It’s best to store them in a cool, dry place or in the refrigerator.
Our Online store HempWorks.in also offers other products such as hemp protein powder which is an alternative to whey protein powder and hemp milk which may be fortified with extra nutrients.